Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spaghetti [Squash] & Meat Sauce

Before I started the WLC pasta was a staple in my diet. About two weeks into the challenge I was dying for some spaghetti! I had never had spaghetti squash before, so there was no better time for me to give it a try. It was so easy to make, and I didn't even miss having real pasta in the dish. The sauce I threw together was amazing, and super easy to make.

What you need...

  • 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed

  • 1lb grass-fed ground beef OR turkey OR italian sausage

  • 1 (14oz) can tomato sauce

  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley

  • 1 tablespoon dried basil

  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme

  • salt and pepper, to taste


How to make it...

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, use a spoon to remove the seeds and excess threads. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.

Image

While the squash cooks you can make the sauce! Add the meat of your choice (I didn't have any ground beef or turkey so I used spicy Italian sausage and I loved it!!) to a medium skillet and cook until browned. Drain the meat to get rid of the grease, and add parsley, basil, and thyme and a bit of salt and pepper.

Image

Then add your can of tomato sauce and mix well!

Image

After 30 mins, remove your spaghetti squash from oven and use a fork to dethread the squash.

Image

Top it with the meat sauce and enjoy!

IMG_1479

I was surprised how much 'spaghetti' the squash made, I ate left overs for days. It's super easy to make, it tastes awesome, and you get to enjoy it for several meals...what could be better?!! Nothing. K, byeeee.

1 comment:

  1. […] so I’ve been trying to cut back! I love pasta dishes and I’ve been eating a lot of spaghetti squash recently, but I wanted to try something new! I had some zucchini in the fridge so I figured […]

    ReplyDelete