Saturday, April 27, 2013

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

I was walking around the grocery store yesterday trying to decide what I was going to have for dinner. I ended up grabbing portobello mushrooms thinking I could try and make a WLC-compliant version of stuffed mushrooms. I had no idea what I was doing when I started, but holy crap, the result was magical. I was cooking for one, so this recipe only serves one. Double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe as needed!

What you need...

  • 1 portobello mushrooms

  • premium pork or turkey sausage roll (I cut off a 1 inch piece, equivalent to approximately two sausage patties.)

  • a big handful of spinach

  • 1 egg

  • 2 tsp flour (I used coconut flour)

  • 2 tablespoons tomato sauce

  • 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)


How to make it...

Preheat the oven for 400 degrees. Clean the mushroom with a damp cloth, remove the stem, and  spoon out the gills. Spray both sides of the mushroom with olive oil (I suggest you invest in one of these). Place on a baking sheet gill side down and bake for 10 mins. Remove from oven, flip the mushroom so gill side is up, and set aside.

IMG_3918

While the mushroom is baking, brown the sausage in large skillet over medium heat. Once the sausage is cooked all the way through (no more pink), drain the grease and remove from heat. While the skillet is still hot, throw in a handful of spinach and toss it around - it will wilt quickly. Pour the sausage/spinach into a bowl and mix in the red pepper flakes, egg, and flour.

IMG_3917

Top the mushroom with all of the sausage mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 10 mins.

IMG_3919
Once the mushroom is done baking, turn the oven to broil and leave it in for 5 mins or until browned (just keep an eye on it...no one wants to burn this yumminess).

IMG_3920

Top with tomato sauce and DESTROY THAT SHROOM.

IMG_3927

Oh my lord it was so good. Try it, you won't be sorry. K, byeeeee.

1 comment:

  1. […] dish competes with my Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms as my favorite creation to date. It is super filling and […]

    ReplyDelete