Friday, April 26, 2013

Taco Seasoning

If you've ever read my blog before, then you probably know by now that I love mexican food. When I first started the WLC, I thought I would get over my obsession..because what is mexican food with out CHEESE and sour cream?! Well, I still wonder that, BUT I guess you could say I've gotten used to the absence of my two favorite toppings.

Anyway, I started making my own taco seasoning a while ago (and blogged about it) simply because I forgot to buy a packet of it at the store. Since starting the WLC, I'm happy to know I was doing at least one good thing for my body. Most popular brands of taco seasoning have things like yellow corn flour, maltodextrin, potato starch, and other totally unnecessary ingredients...so just make your own! I've adapted my recipe a little every time (and usually just pretend I'm a pro and eyeball it), but here is my most recent concoction:

What you need...

  • 2 tablespoon chili powder

  • 2 tablespoon ground cumin

  • 2 tablespoon garlic powder

  • 2 tablespoon onion powder

  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper

  • sea salt and pepper to taste (I use 1/2 teaspoon of each)


How to make it...

  • Measure and mix....ta dah!! You have taco seasoning!

  • Be sure to store it in an airtight container.

  • When cooking, add 2-3 tablespoons of this mixture + 1/2 cup of water to one pound of cooked meat (of your choice). Simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently until there is very little liquid left in the pan.


377221_10100525929584753_1865152985_n

 

Sorry no food pics, just me giving a thumbs up. Haha k, byeeeee.

2 comments: