Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Almond Milk

I had never tried almond milk, but I decided it was time to change that. Before attempting to make it, I did a some reading and learned that you need to have cheese cloth or a nut milk bag (haha) to strain the milk after blending. I went ahead and ordered a nut milk bag because cheese cloth seemed like it would be too much effort/I would end up making a mess. The bag worked great, I definitely recommend getting one!

What you need....

  • 1 cup raw almonds, soaked in water overnight

  • 3.5 cups water

  • 2 pitted dates, or to taste

  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon


How to make it....

Place almonds in a bowl and cover with water. Soak them overnight (for 8-12 hours).


IMG_4053
IMG_4056


Rinse and drain the almonds and place into a blender along with water, dates, and vanilla extract.

IMG_4057


Blend on high until smooth (1-2 mins depending on how awesome or terrible your blender is).

IMG_4058

Hold the nut milk bag over a large bowl and slowly pour the almond milk mixture into the bag. [At first I tried using a mason jar...there wasn't enough room to pour all the milk, go with a bowl.] Gently squeeze the bottom of the bag to release the milk. It took me a few minutes to get all the milk out.

IMG_4060


Rinse out blender and pour the milk back in. Add the cinnamon and blend on low for a few seconds to combine. Pour into a jar to store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Shake jar very well before using as the mixture separates when sitting.

IMG_4063

I immediately brewed some coffee and had some almond milk with my coffee, YUM!

IMG_4065K, byeeeee.

1 comment: