Sunday, January 29, 2012

Burgers & Poppers.

Tonight for dinner I made Garlic and Ranch Turkey Burgers with Baked Cauliflower Poppers as a side. The turkey burgers (with cheese and an english muffin bun) were 370 calories and the cauliflower poppers were 150 calories (40 calories per serving).



The blog I got the cauliflower poppers from said they tasted like french fries...that's a lie...but they were a good side dish to avoid eating fires.



The "poppers" were really simple to make. Just cut the cauliflower and toss the pieces in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then bake them on 425 for an hour, turning them every 15 minutes.



For the the turkey burgers you mix 1 pound ground turkey, 1 package ranch dressing mix, 1 egg, 3 cloves garlic (1-1/2 tsp minced garlic), 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, and a pinch of salt and pepper.




This was my first time cooking burgers that weren't already formed into patties...so that was fun. Kind of felt like a kid again playing with play-doh...only it was much slimier.



The [obvious] next step is to cook your beautifully formed patties.



And voila, you have a cheeseburger and cauliflower poppers.



You're probably thinking, this idiot forgot the cheese. Well you're wrong, its on the inside!!



I definitely recommend this recipe.



It was dietlectable.

2 comments:

  1. How do you make cauliflower poppers? Did I miss it somewhere? And Kroger sells a Boars Head horseradish cheddar cheese that really kicks a turkey burger all the way to Miami. Have you tried it?
    I want to come live with you just so I can eat what you eat. I could do your laundry or something....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The “poppers” were really simple to make. Just cut the cauliflower and toss the pieces in olive oil, salt, and pepper. The recipe I saw called for 1/4 cup of olive oil but that seemed like a lot to me, so I just poured the oil on and tossed them until I was satisfied with the coating. Then bake them on 425 for an hour, turning them every 15 minutes.

    And you can come live with me if you do my laundry. I hate doing laundry…

    ReplyDelete