Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fake Pizza.

If you're like me, your normal dietary food groups don't consist of the usual fruits, vegetables, dairy, protein, etc. My food pyramid looks a lot more like this one...



Broken down, my basic food groups can be described as the following::

  1. Pizza - including every variety of pizza and pizza-like (Italian) foods, from cheese sticks to calazones. You can't have good Italian without good wine, so I include that in this group as well.

  2. Mac n' Cheese - obviously this includes every variety of mac n' cheese you can imagine, but more generally, this encompasses carbs and cheese, cheese and carbs...nomz. Some breads and cheese dips are made with beer, therefore beer also belongs in this group.

  3. Mexican - authentic, American, upscale, fast-casual...whatever, if it's considered Mexican and pairs well with tequila, it fits in this group.

  4. French Fries - waffle fires, curly fries, shoestring fries....I could go on for a while, but you get the point. Every other form of potato can also be included - tater tots, mashed potatoes, potato chips, etc. Oh and you can't forget potato-based vodkas (or just all vodkas in general) that also belong in this group.


Because these four groups pretty accurately describe my favorite foods/drinks, and I don't particularly want to die of a heart attack at age 30...or look like a hippo in a bathing suit...I have to find ways to enjoy my favorite foods without consuming thousands of calories in one meal.

Using portabella mushrooms as "pizza crust" is one of my favorite healthy pizza substitutes. Just take out the stems and bake them at 400 degrees for 7 minutes.



Then add whatever pizza toppings you like - here I added low-fat mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni.



After you add your toppings, put them in the oven on broil for 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.



Pretty simple, and very delicious. In college I used to eat these when I was making an attempt to be healthy...you know since not eating real pizza would negate the fact that I drank 100,000 calories the night before. Anyway, give them a try! K, byeeeee.

2 comments:

  1. [...] I explained in my Fake Pizza post, I. love. pizza. In every form. Consequently, it should come as no surprise to you that I am [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] I’ve said before, Mexican food is a staple in my diet. I appreciate all forms of Mexican food, but more often than [...]

    ReplyDelete