Thursday, January 26, 2012

Veggie Tales.

When I eat healthy food I want it to be something substantial AND tasty. Is that too much to ask for? There is nothing worse than devouring your dinner and still being hungry...really makes you feel like a kid from the Seam (Hunger Games obsessed).

Anyway, you're in luck! I found a dish that is both healthy and filling: a Zucchini, Black Bean, and Quinoa skillet. The recipe calls for rice, but I substituted it for quinoa, and I used mozzarella cheese  instead of cheddar and monteray jack (because the biggest loser taught me it is the much lower in calories than a lot of other cheese - like Cheddar and Monteray Jack).

The recipe was simple to follow, but as I've said before, I'm no chef, so chopping the veggies is what took me the longest. However, this time I had a legit knife and I am now convinced I probably should have invested years ago.



The recipe calls for 1-1/2 cups sliced zucchini. Ummmm, okay? That doesn't tell me how many zucchinis I need to buy?! Because of this, I essentially doubled the recipe and made about 8 servings instead of 4...but who doesn't love leftovers!



The recipe called for a green pepper, but I used red to make it look like Christmas.



At this point I was beginning to doubt this recipe choice. Could it look any healthier? (And by healthier I mean not satisfying at all.)



Quinoa definitely looks weird, but if you can get past the look of it, it tastes great and definitely beats rice in the nutrition game.



Once the melted cheese was added, I knew it was going to be good. And I was right. My only suggestion is to add hot sauce because it could be considered bland to some people (me). If you don't like hot sauce, add some ketchup? Haha gross...only kidding. K, byeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment