Friday, February 17, 2012

Fake Fried Shrimp.

I love fried food and I would eat it everyday if I could - there are two problems with this statement. The first being that I don't have a deep fryer (definitely for the best...I would end up frying candy bars and other really unnecessary things). The second (and definitely more important) being that fried food is terrible for you. Lucky for us, there are alternative ways to feel like you're eating fried food, without actually increasing your risk of high cholesterol, heart disease, and muffin tops...yay! The obvious solution is baking - or what I like to call fake frying.  I made fake fried shrimp for Superbowl Sunday....and the recipe was so good that I've made these shrimp twice since then.

What you will need...

  • 1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs

  • 2 egg whites

  • 1 tablespoon fat-free milk

  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

  • 3 teaspoons of a seasoning of your choice (I used a mixture of Cajun and Mediterranean - gave it great flavor and a little kick)

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

  • 30 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tail on or off, your choice)

  • Olive oil-flavored cooking spray




How to make them...

  • Preheat the oven to 400°

  • Place bread crumbs in one container; combine egg whites and milk in another; and combine flour, seafood seasoning, salt and pepper in a third container.

  • Spray the baking sheet with cooking spray.

  • Dip shrimp in the flour mixture, egg mixture, and bread crumbs. (I put 5 or so shrimp in one container, closed the lid, and shook. This is much less time-consuming than dipping them individually...obviously.)

  • Place the shrimp on the baking sheet; spritz with cooking spray.

  • Bake for 8-12 minutes (turning shrimp halfway through) or until shrimp turn pink and coating is golden brown.




One Fake Fried Shrimp is only 28 calories and 1g of fat...compare that to a real fired shrimp with 75 calories and 4g of fat, and I'd say we're doing pretty well!



Like Bubba said....shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it [he meant to say fake fry], saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That-that's about it. K, byeeeeee.

1 comment:

  1. These look really good! I love fried food, too, but I like the idea that these would have a crunch without being too greasy. I may have to give them a try. :)

    ReplyDelete