Monday, July 1, 2013

Southwest Breakfast Casserole

My mom's breakfast casserole is one of the many things I've been missing a lot during the WLC (this is another post I wrote a few months ago and forgot to publish). I gave this southwest breakfast casserole a try and it was tasty enough, but not being able to have hashbrowns or cheese makes it really hard for me to love any breakfast dish. I'm probably not doing a very good job of convincing you to try it, but I have to be honest about my love for cheese.

What you need...
  • 1tablespoon coconut oil
  • half a yellow onion, finely diced
  • 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 sweet potato, peeled and grated
  • 1 pound grass fed ground beef or sausage
  • 1 tablespoons taco seasoning
  • 1/2 cup salsa verde (I used Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde)
  • 12 eggs
  • Sea Salt to taste
How to make it....

Preheat oven to 350. In a large saute pan, saute the onions and minced jalapeno in the coconut oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent.

Image

Add the ground beef and cook until it starts to brown and add the grated sweet potato and garlic. Cook until the beef is completely browned and the sweet potato is soft.


Image

Add the chili powder, cumin, and salsa, stir and cook until heated through.  Add sea salt if desired.  Transfer the meat mixture to a baking dish and spread evenly over the bottom of the dish.

IMG_2151

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the 12 eggs add pour over the meat mixture in the baking dish.  Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.

IMG_2152

Uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the eggs are set in the middle when you jiggle the pan.

IMG_2155

I tried the casserole topped with the salsa verde, hot sauce, and Maggie's Fresh Pico - all three options we equally tasty. What would you top it with? K, byeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment