Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Salmon with Honey Mustard Pan Sauce

I'm about to get really fancy in this post, so be prepared. (I'm just kidding, this dish is really easy, but you do have to 'deglaze' the pan, and just saying that makes me feel like I'm on Chopped.) I actually got the inspiration for this recipe from a Trader Joe’s package. I severed mine over an arugula salad with a homemade vinaigrette. It was ahhhmazing!

Vinaigrette

What you need....
  • 6 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp white wine or champagne vinegar
  • 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
  • 1 shallot*
*I used a full shallot and it resulted in a pretty strong onion flavor. If you don't love onions, I would suggest using half a shallot instead. 

How to make it...
  1. Finley mince the shallot.
  2. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, pepper, and mustard
  3. Stir in the shallot.
OR
  1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend.
6a0134890408d5970c01676649e988970b-800wi

Salmon 

What you need...
  • 1 lb salmon (or two large fillets)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 tbsp whole grain dijon mustard
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp honey
How to make it...
  1. Add olive oil and butter to a large skillet and cook over medium heat to melt butter.
  2. Add the mustard to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add the salmon and cook for 3 minutes per side if the fish is defrosted or 6 minutes per side if it is frozen.
  4. Add the water (I did this so the fish wouldn't dry out), cover with a lid to complete cooking, mine took approximately 3 more minutes.
  5. Remove the fish and add lemon juice to deglaze the pan.
  6. Add honey and cook until reduced, about 2-3 minutes.
Salad

What you need...
  • 2 handfulls of baby arugula (about 2 cups)
  • 4 tbsp dried cranberries, divied
  • 4 tbsp crumbled goat cheese, divided
  • unsalted sunflower seeds, to taste
How to make it...
  1. Divide the arugula evenly and top each portion with cranberries, goat cheese, and sunflower seeds.
  2. Pour dressing over salad - I used 2 tbsp on each salad (I had plenty of dressing leftover - if you don't want leftovers, cut the vinaigrette recipe in half).
  3. Place the salmon on the salad and spoon the pan sauce over the salmon.
IMG_6150

My boyfriend almost skipped out on this meal for a juice. While we were eating he said he was really glad he didn't skip this meal and that its a keeper - and I agree!! K, byeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment