Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Zucchini Creole.

Zucchini Creole was the first dish I made in my real adult life (meaning when I graduated college and joined the rest of the world in prison...I mean having a full-time job). It is very easy to make and continues to be one of my favorite dishes in my adult life.

What you need...

  • 3 or 4 medium zucchini, sliced

  • 2 tomatoes, chopped

  • 1 onion, chopped

  • 1 green pepper, chopped

  • 3 tablespoons butter (I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!® Light)

  • 3 tablespoons flour

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar

  • 2 cups grated cheese (I use Sargento® Shredded Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Italian)

How to make it...

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Layer the sliced zucchini in the bottom of a casserole dish (I usually use a 9 x 13 pan, but sometimes you have to improvise). Melt the butter in a pan and stir in flour, onions, green pepper, and tomatoes. Add salt and brown sugar. Cook for 3-5 mins or until thick.

Pour the vegetable mixture on top of the zucchini slices (if you're using two dishes, distribute evenly). Bake for 30 mins.


Top with cheese and bake for an additional 10 minuets, or until cheese is brown and creole is bubbly.




Sidebar: I usually top the dish with cheese, cover it with aluminum foil, and bake for 30 mins. Then I uncover it and bake for an additional 10 mins. In this case, I didn't have foil, I added the cheese at the end, and it turned out just fine. Make it however you would like, either way, it will be delicious!

The best part (besides it being easy to make AND delicious) is how healthy it is! The dish makes 8 servings and, even smothered in cheese, each serving is only 145 calories!!! You could eat two servings (guilty of doing this) and still only consume 290 calories...crazy talk, I know. Guess you'll just have to give it a try...k, byeee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment