Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sautéed Greens with Pine Nuts & Rasins

As I mentioned before, my friend Sara and I are participating in the WLC together. She is actually the person who introduced me to the idea and, three days prior to the challenge, I made the hasty decision to join her...silly me. ANYWAY, I'll turn it over to Sara now.....

It was day two of Whole Life Challenge and I needed to find a paleo-friendly side dish to go with london broil. My kale was about to go bad, so I knew I wanted to use it, but I also wanted something more exciting than just sauteing it with garlic. After spotting some leftover pine nuts in my fridge, I turned to google to for inspiration and came up with this recipe - sautéed kale and spinach with pine nuts and rasins. It is easy to make and the raisins are amazing in this dish!


Ingredients:

2 tbps olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
bunch of kale
1 cup spinach
3 tbps pine nuts
1/4 cup raisins





Directions:

Step 1: Heat a large saute pan to medium-high heat and add the pine nuts. Toast them until they are fragrant and begin to brown, but make sure to pay attention as pine nuts burn easily. Stir the nuts frequently. Once they are toasted, remove from pan and set aside.

Step 2: Add the olive oil to the pan and swirl it around. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds; the pan should already be hot, so it won't take long for the garlic to begin to brown. Add the spinach and kale and saute until the greens begin to wilt. Once they do, add the pine nuts back in, along with the raisins. Stir for about another minute or so and then remove from heat.




Kalepinenut




For those of you that haven't jumped on the kale train - you are missing out! Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables you can eat and it comes with a ton of benefits. Just to name a few, kale aids in detoxification and weight loss, strengthens your immune system, gives you healthier hair, skin and nails and is an anti-inflammatory. Plus, it is a winter green so now is the time to get it!

.....I actually have not jumped on the kale train with Sara, but seeing how this dish looks super easy AND delicious, count me in. I will be buying kale the next time I'm at the store...and you should, too! K, byeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment