Monday, April 9, 2012

Tex-Mex Rice Bowl.

"I find myself when drinking in a constant state of desiring Mexican food. But to put that more accurately, you'd have to replace the word drinking with awake."









As I've said before, Mexican food is a staple in my diet. I appreciate all forms of Mexican food, but more often than not I end up eating an 800 calorie burrito bowl from Chipotle. While they are amazingly delicious, the habit is expensive and fattening. I recently came across a recipe for a Tex-Mex Rice bowl and thought it could be a perfect substitute for Chipotle. (Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY claiming that it is as satisfying as Chipolte - or even remotely tastes like it in any way - I'm simply pointing out that both dishes live in the same Meixcan food family.) This Tex-Mex Rice Bowl is super easy to make, so its perfect for a weeknight!

What you need...



  • 1 (8.8-ounce) pouch precooked uncle ben's brown rice

  • 8 ounces ground turkey or lean ground beef

  • 1/4 cup water

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons less-sodium taco seasoning

  • 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn

  • 1 can organic black beans, rinsed and drained

  • 1 cup fresh salsa

  • 1 jalapeño pepper, diced

  • chopped fresh cilantro


How to make it...

This is very complicated, so read carefully (obviously kidding)...squish the bag to break up the right, tear a slit in the top of the bag, and microwave for 90 seconds.



Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the turkey or beef. Cook until browned. Stir in 1/4 cup water and taco seasoning; bring to a simmer.




Stir in corn and beans; cook 1 minute or until heated. [If you're not too lazy to chop up some fresh vegetables, green peppers and onions would be great to add in here too.] Stir in rice.




Top with salsa and jalapeño. Sprinkle with cilantro.





This recipe yields 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup) and one serving  is only 306 calories and 7.6g fat. I added a few extra toppings for my boyfriend: Sargento Shredded Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Mexican Cheese and fat free sour cream - both for only an additional 50 calories! If you love Mexican food and hate cooking complicated/time-consuming meals, I suggest you give this a try! K, byeeee.

1 comment:

  1. [...] you’ve ever read my blog before, then you probably know by now that I love mexican food. When I first started the WLC, I thought I would get over my obsession..because what is mexican [...]

    ReplyDelete