Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Prosciutto-Mozza Pizza.

In case I haven't made it clear, I REALLY LIKE PIZZA. It should come as no surprise that I'm always looking for healthy options to satisfy my cravings. I have seen about 100 low-calorie pizzas in Cooking Light, so after a little encouragement from my boyfriend, I decided it was finally time to give one a try - we decided on the Prosciutto-Mozza Pizza from the June issue. This recipe makes 6 servings; each serving is 331 calories and 11.4g of fat.

What you need...

  • 1 pound refrigerated fresh pizza dough

  • 1 tablespoon cornmeal

  • 2/3 cup light marinara sauce

  • 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil

  • 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into pieces

  • 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves


Sidebar: When cooking healthy, people often make the mistake of not properly measuring their ingredients. I know I used to guestimate how much of ingredient X would equal Y ounces and I'm sure this caused me to consume extra, unwanted calories. If you don't have a digital food scale, I definitely suggest investing in one. I just did, and I use my scale for EVERYTHING.

How to make it...

Let the dough stand at room temperature, covered, for 30 minutes (the following picture...is the most exciting picture I've ever taken). Place a heavy baking sheet (or if you're cool enough, a pizza stone) in the oven and preheat oven to 500° (keep baking sheet/pizza stone in the oven as it preheats). While the dough and the oven are doing their thing, you should prepare the rest of the ingredients: shred the prosciutto; slice the mozzarella; and measure out the corn meal, marinara, oregano, and olive oil. Once the dough is done hanging out, roll it into a circle on a lightly floured surface. If you don't have a rolling pin, just use the jar of marinara! (I'm always getting creative in the kitchen.) Then pierce the entire surface of your perfect circle liberally with a fork. Remove the baking sheet from oven (with your bare hands, clearly) and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place dough on baking sheet...ta-dah! Spread sauce over dough, leaving a border for the crust. Or if you hate crust, get real cray and don't leave a boarder at all - not my pizza, not my problem! You can totally make an uncrustable pizza!! Remember Uncrustables? Same basic idea, no curst. ANYWAY, crust or no crust, top with cheese. Brush outer crust with olive oil. If you don't have a fancy pastry brush, just use a napkin. (Um, apparently I wasn't supposed to do this until after the pizza baked? But why? I don't want an oily crust...that just SOUNDS disgusting. Oily crust. No thanks. So I'm going to go ahead and say do to it before you bake it...turned out just fine for me!) Bake at 500° for 14 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is lightly browned. At this point....the eater gets anxious.... Remove from oven....NOMZ. Arrange prosciutto over pizza then top with oregano. Cut into 6 large slices. Now comes the hard part....DON'T EAT THE WHOLE PIZZA. Instead, limit your enjoyment to one or two slices and you can kill your pizza craving without killing your diet! K, byeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment